Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm afraid of everything. My boyfriend isn't.


Some of my fears:
- Scary movies and the music they play
- Empty streets at night
- Big dogs
- Spiders, ants, bees, bugs in general
- Failure (this just got deep.)
- Lighting matches
- Standing by someone who's sneezing

But that's just the start. So when moments like this morning happen, I freak out. I guess I should tell you the story. My boyfriend Chris and I were walking to the subway this morning since he has to be at work bright and early...except that it's not bright, it's actually still pretty dark. That expression is false. Anyway, there's one freaky street in particular that always has cars parked on both sides and half the time we pass them, at least 2-3 have one person just sitting in the driver's seat, staring. Sometimes at us. Other times, I can't see inside the cars, but their headlights are on. Naturally, I feel as if that street is filled with kidnappers and killers who are just waiting for their prey, which could easily be me.
Fortunately, all of my suspicion gets my adrenaline pumping so I'm sure if anyone ever did try to mess with me, I'd shock them with my strength...or tears.
Let's get on with the story. This morning, at the end of this dimly lit street, a pretty large man was just sitting in a wheelchair. It looked like a set up for something horrible. I squeezed Chris' hand and muttered, "Creepy, creepy, creepy!!" the second I noticed. I think Chris responded with, "Seriously." Man of many words. So imagine my surprise when, of course, the scary man called over to us in a raspy voice that was not at all understandable and Chris walked over to him. Um??
I stayed back, obviously, just waiting for the moment the guy would whip out a gun or a knife or something horribly violent. Then, I'd have to save the day somehow and I wasn't prepared for that - I woke up just 10 minutes before! Everyone knows you need at least a half hour to be ready for a smack down. Chris talked to the man for a few seconds, while the guy pointed down the street and said something about being pushed. Next thing I know, Chris is behind the wheelchair and suddenly standing almost at a perfect diagonal - his legs way far behind his torso, starting to push the heavier man up the street.
I think it's true when people tell me that I wear all of my emotions on my face, because the man looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, miss." I was hoping that those words didn't have hidden meaning behind them, like a foreshadowing for what he was planning to do. YES, I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE I'M IN A SCARY MOVIE! Anyway, I decided I needed to be right behind them just in case. Never once did I think, "Oh, I should help push!" Nope, I was focused on the larger matters at hand - saving our lives. This is when I was very happy with myself for wearing my coat's hood up - must have looked pretty intimidating, even with the faux fur around it.
After going pretty far, he made it to where he needed to be, so he thanked Chris and we turned back to continue our walk to the subway. I turned around a few times to make sure all the danger was over, and after a few more steps, I felt ready to celebrate. Chris isn't a morning person, and I am. Therefore, the rest of the walk was filled with my exclamations:
"Wow! That was so crazy!"
"I bet you want to do some working out now, after pushing that guy!"
"I was so freaked out!"
"You're such a sweet person!"
"I wonder if I was a guy and not a girl, if I would still be afraid, or if I'd do what you did!"
"Do you feel so good right now?!"
"Were you freaked out AT ALL?!"
He wasn't freaked out, and he didn't feel like working out - he felt like going back to bed. What a trooper. I didn't tell him my theory - that I saved our lives with my intimidation. I'm sure I'll do it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment