Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What Grace Kelly forgot - heated streets, please.



"I preferred to live in New York, where it rained sometimes, and where you could take a walk down the street without being stopped by the police or being thought dangerous or crazy not to be in a car." - Grace Kelly

I've always been a fan of biographies, but I've discovered an even deeper passion for reading them lately. That means I've read multiple Audrey Hepburn bios (uh...wasn't kidding when I said she's my favorite non-family, non-boyfriend person in my last post!) and I'm halfway through, you guessed it, one on Grace Kelly.
I think Grace was just the type of person I'd love to be friends with. She'd be all, "Oh, let's have tea!" And I'd be all, "Yes, and afterwards, let's go shopping!" And we'd laugh. Or something like that. She seemed to be incredibly smart, which leads me to believe that she made the above statement about New York in any season besides winter. Now, I'm as big of a fan of walking to all destinations as the next loyal New Yorker, but mornings like today where you're quite convinced the relentless wind has torn a layer of your face off? Heated car, please. Because yes, people don't look at you like you're crazy when you're simply walking along the streets (go New York!), but I believe they DO look at you like you're nuts when you are stuck between a run-walk-shuffle with your coat's furry hood covering your entire head...only, the wind keeps knocking your hood back right after you put it up, so you have to use both of your gloved hands to hold the hood close to your two cheeks. Do I say this from experience? Maybe. Yes.
Now, my space heater is on and I'm curled up in bed, trying not to focus on the cool air that seems to be seeping through my window. New York, I love you...but please, warm up a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment